Sunday, May 29, 2011

Flats and Handwashing Challenge - Day 7

This is was it, the final day of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge!  The challenge officially ends at midnight tonight, so of course Addisyn will still be in her flat/prefold combination until I change her in the morning.

All week we only had 4 leaks, half of those were from the nighttime diapers, and I feel that all can be attributed to user error.  I didn't find using flats to be any more difficult than when we first started using our normal diapers, there was just that adjustment period to go through to see what worked best for us since we were trying something new.  I didn't find handwashing to be difficult, and I didn't mind doing it.  I do prefer using our washer only because it is less time consuming for me, and more convenient (and it doesn't cause me to sweat!).  But if I didn't have access to, or couldn't afford to use a laundry facility, I would not let handwashing be the end of our cloth diapering.  Of course I can only say this because I have actually done it.  Cloth diapering can be a very intimidating idea to someone who has never used cloth, and to tack on handwahsing - I can see why someone might be turned off by the idea.

Giving Diapers, Giving Hope is an organization that is working to help low income families switch over to cloth diapers to save them from spending what money they do have on disposable diapers.  Giving Diapers, Giving Hope accepts donations of diapers, diaper accessories, and money (to buy more diapers) and then lends out those diapers to low income families.  The families are only responsible for paying the cost of shipping to get the diapers to them, and then back to the organization once they are finished with them.  (I know, some of you are thinking, "second-hand diapers, gross!" Lots of families purchase used cloth diapers, and once you're finished with your diapers, if they're in good condition and well-taken care of, resale rates are pretty good!)  Giving Diapers, Giving Hope does suggest a $10 per month donation from those families using their diapers, but that is not required.  Should a diaper be damaged or ruined they also strongly encourage that families make a donation in the amount of the diaper's cost, but again, it is not mandatory.  Once we're done with our flats and I give them a good wash (in our washing machine!) I will be donating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment