Friday, June 3, 2011

The Multitasking, Breastfeeding Mother

All breastfeeding mothers quickly learn to do various other things while nursing their babies, mainly to help pass the time, but often out of necessity too.  Breastfeeding a baby does take up quite a bit of time, especially a newborn.  Like the typical newborn, Addisyn nursed every 2 to 3 hours for the first few months of her life.  During the first couple of weeks she was nursing 12 times in a 24 hour period, and you figure each feeding takes roughly 30 to 40 minutes - that's 6 to 8 hours a day spent breastfeeding!  I quickly learned to have a book and my computer close at hand (along with food and drink) during feedings.

As babies get a little older, and mothers get a little more confident with their abilities the various tasks performed while breastfeeding may become more complicated.  I have cooked while nursing Addisyn in our ERGObaby carrier, in fact, I decorated most of her birthday cake while nursing her.  I have shopped too.

The newest task that I have to add to my (non-existent) list of things I've done while nursing is washing my hair.  Yes, both shampooing AND conditioning!  It is definitely swimming pool season here in Texas, so we spend some time in the water today.  When we get home from the pool I typically take Addisyn in the shower with me to kill two birds with one stone.  As I was trying to get her rinsed off she was craning her head to try to nurse, so I let her once her shower was done.  She was so tired that she almost immediately fell asleep, right there in the shower with me.  So I proceeded to wash my hair with one hand while holding my sleeping 12 month old in the other arm.  I did call my husband in to take a tasteful picture before I handed her off so that I could finish my shower.

What unusual things have others done while nursing?

1 comment:

  1. This is so impressive, and a moment that I'm sure you'll be glad you captured on film!

    ReplyDelete