Saturday, May 28, 2011

Flats and Handwashing Challenge - Day 6

We had two small leaks today, and I just want to say that I firmly believe that *most* cloth diaper leaks are a result of user error, not because of the diaper itself.  Sure, you can get leaks from diapers that don't fit well, have not been completely prepped, or have detergent build up, two of which could probably be classified as human error.  Our first leak happened sometime between 6:00 and 8:00 this morning and was our overnight diaper.  Addisyn woke up at 6am to nurse, and then I put her back down.  Sometime after that (probably when she woke up again and started moving) a small edge of the flat worked its way out of a small gap between the front of the cover and Addisyn's leg.  The second leak came this afternoon and I'm pretty sure can be blamed on me not readjusting the rise on the cover.  I am use a higher rise setting at night to better accommodate the bulkiness of the flat/prefold, and instead of moving the rise back down I just left it as it - making the diaper a bit looser around her legs.

Today was another washing day in our house, and I did 3 loads - 1 for covers and wet bags, 2 for flats, prefolds, and the AIO we used Thursday night.  Earlier this week I said I wouldn't wash four of my five covers at once again, but I did.  But the weather was much better today - well, hot, but good for hanging diapers - so they dried quickly.  The water looked especially murky after pre-rinsing the first load of diapers, so I figured I should do an extra do an extra one.  I only filled the bucket half way for the second pre-rinse, and the water was incredibly clear - a testament to just how much is taken out of the diapers in the pre-rinse!  I was a bit nervous about how clean the AIO would be being washed by hand, but I think it came out okay.



I know lots of other participants absolutely HATE the washing portion of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge, but the actual washing doesn't really bother me.  It is time consuming, and I do work up a bit of a sweat, but it's not that bad.  The part that I dislike is wringing them out after they're washed.  The more water you can wring out of flats after the wash, the quicker they will dry, but it makes my hands feel like I would have blisters if I did many more when washing.

I am looking forward to the challenge being over though so that I can start using the new Kiwi Pie fitted bamboo diaper that we got in the mail today!  I have been wanting to try bamboo, and with all of the talk on the GroVia Facebook page lately about Kiwi Pie diapers (they're made in Montana by one of GroVia's seamstresses) I decided to order one.

No comments:

Post a Comment