Another leak-free challenge day here! I put my diaper pins in a bar of soap and am amazed by how much difference it makes in getting them into the diaper! We continue to use the origami fold during the day and the kite-folded flat with a prefold at night.


The washing went pretty well today. I washed my shells and wet bag by themselves because I didn't want to wash them in hot water with the flats. I should have washed the diapers in smaller loads though (I did 9 flats, 2 prefolds, and half a dozen cloth wipes in 1 load). Fortunately everything seemed to come out clean. There was a little staining to the 2 poopy diapers we had, but no more than we would have had on our regular soaker pads, and everything smelled clean (those who use cloth diapers will know that if you don't use enough soap when machine washing your diapers, they may smell funky after you take them out). I did an extra rinse of the prefolds and cloth wipes since they're much thicker than the flats. One issue I did have though was that my camp washer lid didn't hold up to the washing, it cracked in several places. I know others have used the same lid, so I'm curious to see if anyone else broke theirs.

One other mistake I made today is that I washed 4 of my 5 shells at the same time, so that the only dry diaper cover I have available for use is the one that Addisyn is wearing. Somehow that one shell also made it through her first spaghetti dinner (I know, we were really temping fate!). For the rest of the week I think I will be washing the shells by hand as they need it instead of waiting until I was diapers.

I was hoping to line dry my diaper today, but we have been having some pretty nasty storms this evening (read: golf ball-sized hail, funnel clouds, and tornadoes not too far from us). I'm also waiting to replace our clothes line. My husband kindly hung one for me last year, but the line has weathered and now leaves blue marks on anything I hang on it (only made that mistake once). I picked up a drying rack a few months ago so that I could dry diapers inside or out, but every time I put it outside it gets blown over!
That is some big hail!
ReplyDeleteWhat drying rack do you have? I can't seem to find any that are not so flimsy they fall over. they seem to have been a lot sturdier when I was a kid.
Our drying rack is from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I liked it better than the ones I saw at Walmart because it was flat on top (Walmart's racks came to a point). I think it was $20, and then they had more expensive $40 ones too (ours is white metal).
ReplyDelete