Friday, May 27, 2011

Breastfeeding and Proud of It!

Before the last couple of months I never realized how much hostility there is between people who breastfeed and people who formula-feed their babies.  I can understand mothers being touchy or offended when someone is critical of the way they choose to feed their baby, or if they feel they are being pushed to change the way they provide their baby with nourishment, but such things apply to BOTH sides of the feeding aisle.  I have heard of people catching flack for using formula, and that shouldn't be happening.  But I (personally) know that formula is also pushed onto breastfeeding mothers too, or their choice questioned.



Breastfeeding Addisyn has always been a priority to me, and I believe that it is what is best for her, and for me, too.  My dedication to breastfeeding my own child though does not extend to others.  Of course I believe that breastmilk is the absolute best thing that a mother can feed their baby, that's what is was designed for after all, and that's why it was is so important to me to breastfeed.  But I don't push that opinion on others or think that others are making the wrong choices for their children because they don't breastfeed, no way!  But I WILL NOT hide my pride in breastfeeding my daughter!

In the beginning breastfeeding was EXTREMELY painful!  The nurses at the hospital had me using a nipple shield - they weren't putting it on correctly, and I didn't know the difference.  Since the shield wasn't on as far as it should have been, Addisyn's latch wasn't deep enough when she nursed, and that resulted in weeks of pain, even though we didn't even use the shield for 2 days.  For the first 2 weeks every time Addisyn latched it felt like she had a mouth full of glass shards.  But I persevered and I AM PROUD OF IT!

When Addisyn was 5 weeks old I noticed mucous and a very small amount of blood in one of her poopy diapers.  I immediately called the pediatrician and was instructed to take Addisyn to urgent care (it was a Sunday, so our pediatrician's office was closed) - we found out that she had an intolerance to dairy.  We could have put her on special formula, but I didn't want to stop breastfeeding, so I chose to go on a dairy-free, soy-free diet so that I could continue to breastfeed Addisyn.  We are just now beginning to reintroduce dairy into my diet to see if Addisyn has outgrown her intolerance.  I ate completely dairy-free for almost 11 months so that I could continue to breastfeed my daughter and I AM PROUD OF IT!

When I was pregnant I bought a few baby bottles thinking that once "breastfeeding was well established" and it would be okay to use a bottle that it might be nice for my husband to help with the feedings.  Those bottles have never been opened.  I enjoy BREASTfeeding my baby.  In many ways it may be more work, but I don't have to pump, I don't have to clean bottles, I don't have to pack anything extra in the diaper bag, and I didn't have to wean her off of a bottle.  My baby has never had a bottle, and I AM PROUD OF IT!

The inspiration for this blog post came from reading the comments to this article about the Nestle company making a formula equivalent to the Keurig coffee machine to attract people to their formula.  "Mad as Hell" comments that "it's people like [the auther] who make my wife feel like a failure for not being able to breastfeed."  The author clearly states at the beginning of the article that "formula is a wonderful thing" for "those who are unable to breastfeed their infants".  Her beef with Nestle, and other formula companies, is that they try to persuade those families who have a choice between breastfeeding and formula formula feeding to go with the formula.  Let's face it - they wouldn't have nearly as much business if their only consumers were mothers/babies who couldn't breastfeed.

I have seen these kinds of comments before when looking over breastfeeding articles and discussions online, and I do feel for those who want to breastfeed but can't.  But for everything in life that we would celebrate, there is someone who couldn't do it or chose not to.  Pregnancy and the birth of a baby is a momentous occasion, yet there are families who cannot get pregnant, or who lose a child, or choose not to have any. But we do not stifle our joy because of this, we announce it to the world.  College is a big step for many young adults, and graduation something to be celebrated, even though some cannot go to college, choose not to go to college, or drop or fail out of college.  The list goes on and on.  Nobody would expect people to forego celebration and pride in these areas, why should breastfeeding be any different?

I am proud to be a breastfeeding mother, to have persevered through some difficult times, and in a society where breastfeeding is not exactly the norm.  I do not rub my ability to breastfeed in anyone's face, I do not criticize or think less of those who choose not to breastfeed, but I will not apologize to anyone, or feel guilty for my pride in my decision to breastfeed or for my steadfastness in that endeavor.  I own my decision, my dedication, and my success.


1 comment: