What a day... Actually it was a pretty good day with a few hiccups here and there. We were leak-free overnight, and the little bit of rashiness/redness we had at the end of the day yesterday was completely gone this morning. Thank you GroVia Magic Stick! We continued using the pad fold today.
I washed diapers again today and broke them up into two loads to wash this time - 5 flats, 2 prefolds, and 2 cloth wipes in the first load; 6 flats and 5 or 6 wipes in the second load. The smaller load size definitely made agitating the load easier. Since I messed up my camp washer lid pretty good last time I washed I just used the bucket and plunger without the lid this time, and it was just fine. There was some splashing out of the bucket, but since it was sitting down in the bathtub and I was pouring the water into the tub anyway at the end of washing it really didn't matter. (Note: we rarely use the tub in our master bathroom, and it WILL be thoroughly cleaned after the challenge is over). I hung the diapers to dry outside once I was done, and was nearly eaten alive by thrips! Thrips are those teeny tiny yellow bugs (and I mean you almost can't see them even when you're looking closely) that you may feel biting from time to time when you're outside in grassy areas. They are apparently pretty prolific around here because we had a lot of them last year too. Last year I took Addisyn out into the backyard when she was a few months old to take some pictures, laid her down in the grass, and when I picked her up her white onesie was covered in them! Had I known about them before then I wouldn't have laid her down. They also get all over her diapers when I hang them to dry, but a quick trip through the dryer to soften the soakers takes care of them quickly, or in this case I'll just shake her flats out really well.
Every Thursday night my husband meets up with a bunch of guys at a park not too far from our house to play a few pickup basketball games, and Addisyn and I got with him and walk around the park with a friend while they play. I changed Addisyn a little while before we left for basketball, and completely forgot to change her until I had pee all over me! She had had that diaper on for at least 4 hours, so the leak was completely my fault. The wagon she had been sitting in wasn't wet at all, and it wasn't a slow leak onto my shirt and shorts, so the diaper must have been completely saturated and then she peed while I was holding her and everything just ran right out of the diaper. She's 12 months old now, and this is the first time I've really ended up being leaked on - that's a pretty good run!
On Thursday nights Addisyn usually ends up being put to bed about 2 hours past her normal bedtime (she does sleep a little in the car on the way home) because of basketball, so she is understandably a little cranky once we get home. Well, with the added time and steps of trying to put on a prefold and flat it was just too much for us both tonight. I put on the flat and prefold tonight, but with her having a meltdown I didn't get the diaper on well and couldn't get the cover to fit correctly because of it. Instead of trying again I just went ahead and put on one of our regular nighttime diapers, a GroVia AIO with an extra booster. I had every intention of using nothing buy flats and prefolds ALL week, but the challenge rules do allow participants to use their regular nighttime diapers, and given the circumstances I felt it would be best for tonight.
Not a bad day, but it certainly ended up being a bit long at the end. Tomorrow is another day though!

No comments:
Post a Comment