What do you think of when you hear the term "mid-life crisis"? More than likely, it's probably the same thing that comes to my mind - a
man in his mid-30's to mid-40's, give or take a few years, who goes out and buys himself some fancy sports car, or other "toy".
Never have I heard of a woman having a midlife crisis, at least not in these terms, but I'll get back to this....
First, let me introduce you to my husband's "other women"... Meet his Cannondale road bike and GT mountain bike...
My husband began his relationship with his mountain bike about 6 weeks after Addisyn was born, and
woman #2 the road bike arrived today. I'm glad that he's enjoying mountain biking with friends, but I'm more than a little jaded that it's something he waited until after Addisyn was born to take a serious interest in... I got a new mountain bike just over 3 years ago because I wanted to get into mountain biking, and I had hoped it would be something we could do together. He didn't want to get a bike then, and we ended up buying a lower quality mountain bike from a big box store when I got mine - something I wouldn't feel comfortable using for
real mountain biking. Both of Matt's bikes: higher quality from a
real bike shop. Meant to be taken on the trails. I encouraged it though. Like most women, I like to see my man happy and enjoying life, and I knew he'd love biking.
Midlife crisis? Probably not, I don't think he's old enough, and what might the crisis be? On the other hand, it would be for the best if this
were his midlife crisis - bikes are cheaper than sports cars after all - and not the warm-up to his midlife crisis.
Meet my midlife crisis:
I love her, she is my world, but life with a toddler is a lesson in
controlled chaos. My midlife crisis will last another 18+ years, but most of my toy purchases these days are for her, or to make my life with her easier: cloth diapers, baby carriers, etc. And I know I'm not alone here - I've heard of so many other cloth diapering mamas asking for cloth diapers for Christmas and/or birthdays. My friend,
The Gnome's Mom, just got a new Petunia Pickle Bottoms ERGObaby carrier (you pretty much have to be a mom to know what I'm talking about) for
her birthday. For Mother's Day Matt and Addisyn got me a nice, new sewing machine - I love it! It's still something that provides benefits to the whole family: I'm learning to sew cloth diapers, I'm making shirts (and possibly in the future, Halloween costumes) for Addisyn, I've made reusable produce bags, and maybe one day I'll be able to generate some extra income with my wares.
But look how happy he is! I hope that when Addisyn gets a little older, and isn't so reliant on me, mountain and road biking is something that Matt and I will be able to do together. Until then my bike is great for family rides - when the weather cools down that is...
Haha that's great. Luckily for me, hubby hasn't started any new hobbies since The Gnome was born. I have a Trek hybrid that I haven't been able to ride since I got pregnant... but 3 more months and it is ON! This (and a good helmet) will be our next purchase: http://www.amazon.com/WeeRide-Kangaroo-Child-Bike-Seat/dp/B000FIH0EG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311084783&sr=8-1 (this way he sits in front of you).
ReplyDelete