Sunday, July 24, 2011

Goodwill, Great Deals!

We live in a 1760 square foot, 3 bedroom house.  Before Addisyn was born the front bedroom was my little room, and the middle bedroom was the guest room.  When I was pregnant we transformed the middle bedroom into a nursery, and "my room" became the guest room.  We recently decided that having that front room as a permanent guest room was a waste of space in our modestly sized house.  After all, nobody has stayed the night with us in almost a year.  So, we're going to get rid of the queen-sized bed and invest in a good air mattress for those rare occasions when we actually have overnight guests.  We will be turning the room into a playroom for Addisyn.  It will be much easier for us to hang out in there with a baby gate to keep her in than chasing her all through the house.  A little bit of the room will be for me, too!

My grand plan was to put a little desk or table in the room where I could sew while Addisyn played.  I was also hoping to find a nice, shelf-type toy organizer.  So, off to Goodwill I went to see what I could find!  In the past week I've been to 3 different Goodwill stores, and found some great deals!

My main mission for the first Goodwill trip was to find a desk or table to use as a sewing station.  I pulled in the parking lot, and the store was PACKED!  As it turned out, it was half-price day - what luck! I did find a small, one drawer desk in great shape priced at $15, so I paid $7.50!  There was also a  20th Anniversary Trivial Pursuit game for $3.00.  The box was taped shut, so I couldn't be sure if all of the pieces were there, but for the $1.50 it would cost me on half-price day I decided to risk it.  The game is complete as far as I can tell (I didn't count the cards), and half of the cards were still in the factory wrapping!

A few days later I went to a different Goodwill, still searching for a toy organizer for the playroom.  I didn't find anything for her toys, but I did find a few toys that I had been wanting to get for her at prices I couldn't turn down.  Addisyn ended up with a Little Tikes piano and drum, both in great shape, and only $1.35 each!

We went to a third Goodwill store this afternoon, and still haven't had any luck with a toy organizer, but found a couple other things.  (Sounds like Walmart for a lot of people, huh?  Coming out with more than you intended!)  I bought the Scene It!  DVD movie trivia game for $0.50.  The box was open, so I knew that the game was missing the 4 original token pieces, but they had been replaced with other pieces for moving, so no big deal.  Everything else was there.  But my best deal by far: a Kelty Treble laptop/messenger bag for $3.15.  The bag is practically brand new, and retails for $79.95!!!  Even on Amazon they are $60-70!  What a steal!

Of course buying from Goodwill is about more than just sweet deals, this organization has been a Godsend for millions of people.  It provides jobs, job training, and other support to individuals and families in need.  We've made many donations to Goodwill, too.  We love that it's a place where we can take things we no longer need or want and know that somebody else will get some use out of them, and we can get a tax deduction from what we donate.

Oh, and my purchases weren't only made because I thought it looked like a good deal for the item.  I had been eyeing the Scene It! game on and off for years, but never wanted to put out the money.  For a long time I had thought it would be nice to get a messenger bag that was made to carry a computer, but they're so pricey, and my computer usually doesn't leave the house, so I couldn't justify buying one, until now!


My haul ($15.35 for everything pictured!):

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I've been keeping an eye out on Craigslist for a desk/table to use for sewing but never thought of Goodwill. I'll be heading there this week. What day is half price day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have "sale days" (not sure if it's half price every time or not) that look to be the 3rd Wednesday of each month. They haven't updated their online info for next month, but I assume it'll be Aug. 17th. Here's the link, and you can signup for email info, too.

    http://www.goodwillfortworth.org/stores/sale-days/

    ReplyDelete