Sunday, July 10, 2011

"Flash" Mob!

Today I participated in a flash mob that brought a whole new meaning to the term.  I met up with 37 other mothers and their nurslings and we all breastfed our babies in the middle of Sundance Square in downtown Fort Worth to promote breastfeeding awareness.



Anyone who would have walked by in the 20 minutes or so leading up to mass breastfeeding event would have known that something was going on.  When we arrived there were a few other mothers with their babies standing outside of the Starbuck's across the street, and the group quickly grew.  A few minutes before the breastfeeding was scheduled to begin we all spread out across the block on either side of the street and prepared to feed our babies.  



I feel it was a great event!  There were babies of all ages there: tiny newborns up through children who appeared to be 3-4 years old.  There were mothers there who nursed discreetly (I didn't see any covers), and those who felt comfortable baring it all.  There were LOTS of babywearing moms (I decided at 102 degrees it was a little too hot to be comfortable wearing Addisyn).  Lots of other moms who used cloth diapers and who had natural births.  There were also several moms-to-be out there! :)  What a wonderful thing to see ahead of time how much support there is out there for parenting methods and choices that don't always seem to be "the norm".   Oh, and I can't forget about all of the very supportive daddies/husbands (mine included) who were in attendance!  I'm not sure how many people actually walked by and took notice (I wasn't really paying attention), but it's such a great feeling to be around other mothers who breastfeed (and cloth diaper, and wear their babies, and had natural births)!

No comments:

Post a Comment