Saturday, May 17, 2014

Lenten Facebook Transformation

In case anyone had any doubts I was successful in giving up Facebook for Lent!  How has it changed my Facebook habits?  I don't find myself checking it as frequently, and much like before Lent my main Facebook time is when I'm nursing Elizabeth.  But by far the biggest change is that I have transformed into a Facebook stalker - one of those people who browses their newsfeed, "likes" other people's posts, makes the occasional comment, but posts very little to their own wall.  I have been back on Facebook for nearly a month, and I think I've only posts one or two things to my own wall.

I didn't do as well as I intended in making regular blog posts during Lent, but I did get a couple of posts up during those weeks I was absent from Facebook.  What can I say?  Life is busy.

Elizabeth is quickly approaching 18 months and is all over the place, into everything, and everything is in her mouth (Easter: dog poop: BLAH!).

Addisyn turns 4 years old this week, and we will celebrate tomorrow with family.  She transitioned from a toddler to a full-sized bed just days ago; my little girl is growing up!

Bailey was diagnosed with Lyme disease.  Please, I implore anyone with a dog who lives in areas where ticks are abundant, get your dog(s) the Lyme vaccine!  In fact I was going to call the vet to get Bailey in for her vaccine because we had frequently been seeing of ticks on her and on us.  The morning of the day I had intended to call to schedule the vaccine Bailey was limping pretty badly for no apparent reason, so I got an appointment as soon as I could.  The vet didn't suspect Lyme disease as Bailey's pain didn't seem to be in the areas of the leg where Lyme-related pain is most common.  They did the test anyway and it was positive.  The prognosis for a dog is very good though - antibiotics for a month (believe me, much cheaper to vaccinate - much less traumatic for your dog) and the Lyme is cured.  The rest of that day, and the morning of the next Bailey wouldn't put any weight on the affected leg.  By the afternoon she was walking completely normally - after 2 doses of antibiotics the symptom was gone just as quickly as it had appeared.

Yesterday we welcomed two new additions to our family: Link and Frodo.  These two are adorable!  They're 7 week old Holland lop bunnies.  Brothers.  Addisyn had been talking about wanting a rabbit for some time, and I had wanted one for her.  She wants to help with our chickens, but I don't like to have her in the chicken yard/coop as it is far from the cleanest of places.  Then recently one of our roosters attacked her - she was trying to pick up a chicken, the rooster was being protective - so that was further incentive to have an animal here that she could help to take care of and interact with.  We decided we could get her a rabbit for her birthday, and I set to work building a hutch.  Once we had everything ready for a rabbit I started calling various rabbitries in the area, and guess what?  Most had no bunnies for sale!  The thought hadn't crossed my mind before, but we were looking for a rabbit not long after Easter - just after breeders had had litters in anticipation of Easter sales.  Everyone was between litters, or had bunnies that wouldn't be ready for weeks.  Then I found someone in Charlottesville who had 2 boys available and offered us a reduced price on the pair.  I was already throwing around the idea of getting 2 as rabbits are very social and like to have a buddy, so I was sold.  Now Addisyn and I each have a bunny! ;) Addisyn loves them, so do I, and Elizabeth is very excited about them.



My bird feeders and nest boxes have been inundated by avian life - I love it!  We put up a bluebird box some time ago that is currently housing a family of chickadees with 6 babies!  Matt and I brought a birdhouse back for Addisyn from a trip to West Virginia, and as far as I know it is still being used by a pair of tufted titmice.  Aside from my normal feeder birds I have also seen rose-breasted grosbeaks, spotted towhees, and I had one all-too-brief visit from a gorgeous indigo bunting.  And let's not forget the hummingbirds! :)




We took the girls to the National Zoo in DC on the hottest day of the year thus far.  Everyone had a great time and we were all exhausted at the end of the day!
As I previously mentioned, Matt and I spent a weekend away at a bed and breakfast in Smoke Hole, West Virginia - our first trip away without kids since before we became parents.  The kids did great with my parents for the weekend, and Matt and I had a great time hiking, relaxing, and zip lining.  Anyone looking for a fabulous place to stay in West Virginia, I highly recommend North Fork Mountain Inn!


The duck I suspected to be a male is beginning to look like a male!  Today I noticed that he is starting to get the little white ring around his neck.



Addisyn's most recent life accomplishment: riding her bike "down the dirt road" beside our house.









No comments:

Post a Comment