Then, 2 days later, it snowed. Again. Initial predictions were for accumulations up to an inch. Then 1-2 inches. Then 2-4 inches. I measured 5 inches in our backyard when all was said and done. (Note: Daddy took Addisyn's snow pants to work in his truck, so we had to improvise with a trash bag and some gorilla tape. They were a pretty good fit!)
But that's okay - the forecast only gets better from here, and it looks like it will finally stay that way!
We have started tomatoes and peppers inside for our first garden.
Addisyn had her second ever dental cleaning and check up. She went first (we all had appointments) and was up in the chair having her teeth cleaned and checked without a moment's hesitation.
We acquired a new ameraucana rooster from our neighbor who was apparently having a problem with too many roosters. Big Red has fit in nicely with our flock, and is warming up to our presence when we go out to feed and check for eggs. When we first got him he was a big wimp, and would bolt when we came near the coop!
One of our small chickens, a Mille Fleur I expect, laid her first egg today! The Mille Fleurs and the silkies were our first chickens, which we bought as chicks last fall, so this was quite the exciting discovery for me! We have been getting 5-6 large to extra-large eggs a day from our red-star hens, and that tiny white egg sitting in the box with 5 big, brown eggs was priceless.


I am enjoying the wide variety of birds I have had at my bird feeders, which have been VERY popular as of late. My feeder list recently includes: Dark-eyed juncos, Carolina chickadees, tufted titmice, Carolina wrens, northern cardinals (we've had a group of a dozen or so several days in the last week!), goldfinches, pine warblers, yellow-rumped warblers, song sparrows, white-throated sparrows, mourning doves, northern flickers, red-bellied woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, brown-headed cowbirds, red-winged blackbirds, white-breasted nuthatches, American crows. And while we haven't seen her at our feeders (that would be AWESOME!), Addisyn and I have gotten a couple good looks at a female pileated woodpecker in our yard.
I have been making an effort to pick up my camera more lately. I have wanted to "do something" with my photography for years, and before we got pregnant with Addisyn it was my plan to get something started during my time at home with our baby/young child. I have discovered that after spending the day at home with a baby, then small child, and now 2 children, I have very little energy and motivation left at the end of the day to even take a shower, let alone become self-employed. But that desire and ambition to do something more productive with photography has always been there. Lately I have been researching stock photography - websites where photographers upload photographs which can be purchased for use in books, on websites, blogs, etc. This is a very appealing option for me as I can essentially photograph whatever interests me, do everything as my time permits, and choose to do as little or as much as I want to with it. Definitely sounds like a good place for me to start! So I have been practicing and experimenting with some of the more complicated settings and features on my camera that I hadn't been utilizing as much as I should, and just taking pictures. The next step would be to buy photo-editing software at some point, and learning to use that. I would love to upgrade my camera at some point, but that will have to wait.
We paid a brief visit to friends who live on a horse farm, and Addisyn was thrilled to sit on, brush, and take Wolfie the horse for a walk.

Addisyn has a new betta fish, whom she has named Fishlock. Fishlock currently takes up residency in the middle of our kitchen table, and Addisyn diligently feeds him at breakfast and dinner time.
We have finally started to do some things around the house to make it our own. Matt will have quite a bit of time off work for the next month or so, and needed to have "projects" to do - his idea, not mine. We started with fresh paint in our room. Matt has been talking about painting it grey for months, because it was a "calming" color. I was unsure, but we went with "almost charcoal" - I have never had a dark-colored room, but I really do like this choice. Addisyn's room was next, and she wanted purple, so her room is now "quite lavender". Currently in progress is replacing the linoleum in the entryway, and the carpet in the hallway with laminate wood floors, and it's coming along nicely!
Happy Spring, Everyone!





No comments:
Post a Comment