Thursday, March 13, 2014

Goodbye Facebook!

I have been telling myself for some time that Facebook is too much of a distraction.  That I have other things that are much more important in my life that really deserve to have more time and attention: my kids, my husband, myself.  It's not that I spend large amounts of time on Facebook, I just feel I check it too frequently.  Time to myself or with my husband seems to be too fleeting anyway, so why waste it on Facebook?  I love keeping up with friends of family and see what everyone is up to.  I hate reading the kinds of things that people post just to get a rise out of others - the kinds of things you know you shouldn't pay attention to, shouldn't respond to, but they still linger on your mind for the rest of the day, affecting your mood, and distracting you even when the phone is off or the computer is closed.

The thought that Facebook deserved less of my time, and other things deserved more (or I deserved more time to do other things) finally coincided with a reason to actually follow through on those thoughts: Lent.  So I have deleted the Facebook apps from my phone and iPad, and haven't been on since.  After some debate, I have decided to keep my Facebook Messenger app as it is strictly for communication and doesn't involve getting sucked into reading through statuses and the like.  So if anyone wants to contact me that way, feel free.

I expect that after Lent is over I will resume my Facebook activity, but will be checking and updating less frequently than before.

So what have we been up to in the last week?

After being away working for 2 weeks, Matt got home.
There were 3 separate times he was supposed to come home, but it fell through due to problems with the airplane, then weather, then the company decided to reposition the airplane for the next charter flight instead of letting the pilots come home.  But he made it, and we've had a few days to spend with him.

We have 6 new chicks, and 2 ducklings to raise and add to our flock.
We have welcomed 4 pullet (hen) chicks that will be some variety of red chicken, 2 straight-run (unsexed) black giant chicks, and 2 rouen ducklings.  Rouens' markings are identical to mallards, but they are a larger, domestic breed.  I always wanted to have a duckling when I was growing up, so they have been a childhood dream come true in my adult life.  They started out a little larger than the chicks, but are quite a bit larger already (we have had them almost a week).  We drew a bath and let them swim in the tub yesterday, and they were quite comical - diving and swimming underwater.Needless to say, Addisyn and Elizabeth love watching them, too.








Matt's brother, his wife, and their two girls visited for a weekend.
Addisyn had a blast running around and playing with her cousins!  We took a trip to Massanutten with the intention of going ice skating, but the weather was too warm and the rink was closed.  Our nieces and the daddies enjoyed some go-carting, and Addisyn, her cousins, and myself tried out the bungee dome - what a work out that was!






Elizabeth had her 15 month checkup.
She is growing beautifully!  20 pounds 4 ounces, and 30.75 inches.  She has been walking for about 2 months now, and is very quick on her feet.  She has 16 teeth.  And just within the past week she has started sleeping through the night!!!  For those of you who aren't parents, the definition of "sleeping through the night" is sleeping for 6 hours at a time.  She slept 6-8 hours a couple of times as a new born, and at 15 months she is finally starting to sleep 6+ hours regularly at night.  She actually slept 10 hours straight a few days ago!




We are currently planning and have made reservations for our first trip away without the kids.
We will be spending 2 nights at a bed and breakfast in the mountains of West Virginia!  At the end of April!  Obviously Matt has been away from the kids frequently for work, but this will be my first time away from either child overnight.

Elizabeth got her first fat lip.
She fell on her face in the kitchen.  There were tears for a few minutes, a little bit of blood, and then she was fine.  She actually cried more about me trying to take her picture after the fact than she did about falling and hitting her mouth.


No comments:

Post a Comment