Last month I was presented with the chance to sample and review a Hevea pacifier, and jumped at the opportunity. Hevea... Strange name, right? Hevea brasiliensis is actually the scientific name for the rubber tree, so it's a very fitting name as the pacifier is made from 100% natural rubber. There are many things about this pacifier that I found appealing even before it arrived:
1) They're good for the environment!
*Sustainably produced
*Packaging materials are recycled and biodegradable
2) They're good for babies!
*One-piece design (hence, there are no cracks or joints for germs, debris, etc to hide in during
washing)
*Ergonomic design
*Doesn't leave marks on baby's face
*No PCV, BPA, phthalates, or artificial colors
Hevea pacifiers are available with round or orthodontic nipples, and for ages 0-3 months, and 3 months and above.
A little background on our pacifier use up until this point... Addisyn was exclusively breastfed until we started solids at 6 months, so early on we had followed all of the rules about not giving artificial nipples until nursing was well established. At 4 weeks old we gave her a pacifier for the first time, and it really took a lot of practice for her to keep it in her mouth for any length of time. She really didn't have much interest in the pacifier, and we really only used it when we were driving in the car and she got fussy. From 2.5 to 3.5 months she wouldn't take a pacifier at all for whatever reason, and now we really only use them at bedtime.
It took some patience to get Addisyn to take the Hevea when it arrived. Up until that point all of her pacifiers had had round nipples, and our Hevea has an orthodontic nipple so I suspect that was the source of our initial problems. Now she will take the Hevea just as reliably as she will the others we have, and I think that one thing she really enjoys about it is the ring opposite side with the nipple; she loves that she can loop her thumb through the ring and pull it out of her mouth without dropping it. She pulls it out, looks at it, and then attempts to put it back in.
The big selling point for me with Hevea pacifiers is that they're natural and made using sustainable practices, but as with most things that are made using natural materials and made in a way that is good for the environment the price is a little higher. At $9.95 each, I must say that this is not a pacifier I would have bought myself. As much as I would love to be able to afford to go natural and environmentally friendly in all aspects of my life, it's just not something our budget allows in a lot of places, so we pick those things that will benefit our baby, the environment, and our bank account, like breastfeeding, cloth diapering, and making our own baby food.
Over all, I really believe that the Hevea pacifier is a great product, it just comes down to whether or not you're willing to spend the money on it. Customer service is also A+ with this company. I had a few questions when we first received our pacifier, and I got email responses very quickly! Thank you, Hevea, for the opportunity to sample your pacifier!
www.heveababyusa.com
www.facebook.com/heveausa
No comments:
Post a Comment